International students are very welcome to Wentworth, a private, co-ed, fully accredited Academy & College, the oldest military academy west of the Mississippi River. In a historical –National Register of Historic Places - and safe campus with friendly staff and faculty, Wentworth welcomes students from grades 9 – 12 and Junior College.
Wentworth offers structure and discipline and it has been helping students advance their lives through education and leadership skills for more than 133 years. Its values, traditions, and training are engrained in the school environment.
The weather in Missouri is well known for its wide variety of patterns. Summer is hot and humid, with temperatures ranging from 25 – 39 degrees Celsius and winter temperatures are often below zero degrees Celsius. Temperatures in the spring and fall are very pleasant and the colors are beautiful.
Students from different parts of the globe call WMA their home. With a student –faculty ratio of 10:1, students have personalized attention and constantly excel in their studies while developing leadership and character skills, a key factor to the success of leaders. All high school students participate in athletics. For detailed information on the sports offered for HS and College, please visit our athletic website at http://www.wmadragons.com/
The International Department assists the students, guiding them through the process of application, student visa, and the enrollment process, while keeping constant communication with the students. As they are picked up at the airport, parents are kept updated on their academics and any other accomplishments.
International students arrive on campus earlier for sports training and an orientation, enabling them to acclimate to their new school environment. Throughout the school year, many cultural activities allow the international population on campus to share their culture and customs, not only with the their friends, but also with the community.
The International Department is committed to advocating and mentoring the international students in their coursework to have optimal preparation for continuing their education at a four-year University and in any other area needed.
Wentworth offers a variety of academic programs.
ACCELERATED SCHOLARS PROGRAM
Because Wentworth Military Academy shares its campus with Wentworth Military College (WMC), students are able to take classes through the Accelerated Scholars Program. A full curriculum of 61 classes are offered to the students. Unlike other dual-enrollment programs, the cost of these classes are included in the cost of the tuition, resulting in a significant cost savings for the students.
Due to the on campus college, high-performing students can earn an Associate’s Degree while still in HS. They have the possibility to graduate with a HS and an AA diploma.
- Wentworth Military Academy and College (WMA&C) is an "open campus", i.e., we accept students without any international proficiency test score which makes it possible for any student to enroll and pursue their academic goals.
- Wentworth offers an ESL - English as a Second Language program helping academy international students on campus to fully succeed in their academics. The integration into the Cadet Corps facilitates the immersion necessary to develop the language skills.
- Any international student can also apply to WMC, contingent on providing proof of graduation from HS; TOEFL is not required. Students will go through the regular application process (including paperwork, fees, and SKYPE interview). Upon arrival on campus, students will take an English placement test. Every student testing at the intermediate and/or advanced level will be allowed to enroll in the “Pathway Program”.
Wentworth has numerous articulation agreements with regional four-year colleges, including University of Central Missouri, Park University, and Missouri Valley College; as well as general transfer agreement with all public four-year colleges in Missouri.
Wentworth offers students the chance to live in the schools on-campus barracks. All the student have a roommate of the same sex, and are expected to maintain a high standard in their appearance, and the appearance of their room.
The barracks are safe and secure, and students of different sexes are housed on different floors / buildings.
For more information on our Pathway Program, please click here.
Among the many extra-curricular activities, international students can choose to be part of the following military activites:
- Honor Guard
- Color Guard
- Rifle Team
- Raider Team
- International Club
100% of Wentworth Military Academy graduates matriculate to colleges and universities of their choice across the country. Please look at our FAQ page for more information.
Among our notable Alumni, we can name a few.
- Ike Skelton- United States Congressman, 4th District of Missouri (1977–2011), Ranking Democrat and Chairman of the House Armed Services Committee (2007-2011)
- Charles H. Price II- former United States Ambassador to Belgium(1981–1983) and United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom (1983–1989); appointed by PresidentRonald Reagan
- Newell A. George- United States Congressman, 1959–1961
- Robert Altman- Academy Award winning Director of classic films such as M*A*S*H(1970), McCabe & Mrs. Miller(1971), The Long Goodbye(1974), Nashville(1975), The Player(1992), Short Cuts(1993),Kansas City(1996), Dr. T & the Women(2000), Gosford Park(2001), The Company(2003), and A Prairie Home Companion(2006)
- Marlin Perkins- host of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom
- Arthur Schneider- four-time Emmy Award winning television editor
- James "Bud" Walton- Co-founder of Wal-Mart
- Eddie Chiles- Founder of the Western Company of North America and owner of the Texas Rangers baseball team
- John D. Groendyke- (1964) CEO of Groendyke Transport Inc. the 5th largest tank truck company in the nation
- William C. Schwartz- Physicist, Laser pioneer, and founder of International Laser Systems
- Don D. Cadle- Rhodes Scholar, Director of Resources Programming for the NASA Apollo program, member of the Georgetown University Athletic Hall of Fame, Treasurer and CFO of Chase ManhattanBank
- Ahmed bin Salman- Saudi royal and former owner of Saudi Research and Marketing Group
- Paul Henderson- reporter for The Seattle Times, winner of the Pulitzer Prize for Investigative Reporting in 1982
- Lewis Hill- co-founder of Pacifica Radio, the first public radio station in the U.S.
- Bill Corum- sports columnist for the New York Journal-American, boxing, baseball and horse racing sportscaster, and president of Churchill Downs. Coined the term “Run for the Roses” to describe theKentucky Derby
Dr. Ovid R. Sellers- internationally known Old Testament scholar and archeologist
- Beals Becker- Major League baseball player
- Med Park- NBA player
- Harry Ice- MVP of 1942 Sugar Bowl, member of University of Missouri's all-century football team
- Ben A. Jones- Thoroughbred horse trainer, six-time winner of the Kentucky Derby
- George E. Rody- Captain of the first national championship basketball team at the University of Kansas,1922. Head basketball and baseball coach at Oklahoma State University, 1929-31. Head basketball coach at Tulane University, 1931-33
- General William M. Hoge- oversaw construction of the ALCAN Highway and directed capture of the Remagen Bridge in World War II
- General Mark A. Welsh- 20th Chief of Staff of the U.S. Air Force
- Lieutenant General Melvin F. Chubb, Jr.- Former Commander of Hanscom Air Force Base
- Lieutenant General LeRoy Lutes- Commanding General, Fourth United States Army, 1949–1952
- Major General Clarence L. Tinker- namesake of Tinker Air Force Base
- George B. Turner- Medal of Honor recipient, World War II
- William E. Adams- Medal of Honor recipient, Vietnam War
- Major Dale R. Buis- first casualty of Vietnam War
- Brigadier General Johnny R. Miller- Assistant Adjutant General of the Illinois Army National Guard
Application Process for International Students
In order for a student to be considered for accepctance to Wentworth Military Academy & College, a complete application must be submitted.
- Complete the application and submit an application fee of $300.00
- Application for College - Apply Online. Alternative: (download form)
- Application for High School - Apply Online. Alternative: (download form)
- HS applicants should submit letters of recommendation from the current principal or counselor of his/her current school, math teacher, and English teacher
- If you are already studying in the United States, you must complete this form (download form)
- Statement of Financial Resource (download form)
- School transcripts
- International Student Supplemental application (download form)
- Copy of the identification page of the current passport
- English proficiency test scores are not required; however submit results if available
If accepted, an I-20 will be issued from WMA&C and the student will receive an enrollment book and contract, along with the I-20 and acceptance letter.
Immigration Information for Admitted Students
- Form I-20 and Student Visa (F1)
- You have to contact the closest U.S. embassy and schedule an appointment. The embassy or consulate will issue your visa
- To enter the United States as a student, you will need your I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant F-1 Student Status), F-1 visa and a valid passport.
- When you enter the country, immigration officials will stamp your I-20, return it to you and give you an I-94 card ( a small white card that is proof of your legal entry) that should have F-1 and D/S (Duration of Status) written on it
- When reporting to the school, you must contact the Director of International Admissions to have your immigration documents reviewed
Maintaining your F-1 Status
- Once in the United States, you must maintain your status. Failure to maintain your status can result in serious consequences
- Maintain full-time enrollment during the academic year
- Attend class and maintain satisfactory grades
- Notify the International Department staff of any changes
All international students accepted at WMA&C will be required to take an English proficiency test upon his/her arrival on campus, for placement purposes.
For new College boarding students only:
- Because WMC offers classes in 8 week segments, the enrolling students have an option to complete their studies at WMC by enrolling at three distinct entry periods. For the 2012-13 academic year, college students can enter by August 27, or October 15, or on January 14. If an international student enters in either October or January, he/she would be required to take classes during our summer session as well.
Cristhina Starke - International Department Director:
Cristhina has a Bachelor's
Monica Leon - International Admissions Coordinator:
Bethany Peña - ESL / IEP Instructor:
Bethany has a Bachelor's degree in Spanish and a Master degree in Teaching English as a Second Language, both from the University of Central Missouri. During her studies, she had extensive interaction with international students and participated in the International Center's Conversation partners Program. Bethany studied abroad in Spain and gained valuable insight into the experience of living and studying in a foreign country. She has taught at both the high school and college levels, and she is enthusiastic about helping international students at Wentworth expand their knowledge to include the language and culture of the U.S.
Tim Casey - Dean of the College:
Joe Aull - Vice President of Academic Affairs / High School Principal:
Check Out Our New Viewbooks!
Requires Adobe Flash Player
- Lexington Missouri Weather
The Importance of Speaking English (via Jornal da Globo - spoken in Portuguese)
centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate college or
university in the United States. Click on the link below to find your center!